Saturday, January 22, 2005

Ski trip

I should really blog about my ski trip now that I have the mood to blog. Ski trip was fun though I fell sick after that but now I am as good as new and ready for another round of fun! Only reason stopping me from doing so is the amount of money needed for this sport.

I went to Shiga Kogen (志賀高原)in Nagano for my first ski trip. The trip was organized by the International Student Center of Kobe University and part of the cost of the trip was subsidized by the University. Hence, I only paid 30000yen (rm 1071) for a trip which was supposed to cost 60000yen (rm2142). Left Kobe around 9.30 pm on Jan 4th and reach New Shiga Hotel around 6.45am Jan 5th.

We then had a whole lot of fun learning how to ski from 5th Jan till 8th Jan. Left for Kobe the night of 8th Jan. Reached early Sunday morning with a cold and lotsa bruises!!!

Let the photos below tell you about my trip... :)

Upon arrival, it was snowing heavily. The snow was so soft and nice. Extremely beautiful. Can't head straight to the ski coz I don't even know how to wear those ski boots. Lessons only start in the afternoon, so went out to enjoy the snow instead. The smile on my face showed my feelings... "happy to see the white snow"!!



Then all dressed up for the actual action.. so so so DRESSED-UP..



Can you even recognise me under all those clothes and google? Was on a mission to make a huge snowman.. but alas the snow was too dry. Can't even form a ball.. so it became an abandon mission!!



Finally, time for classes. Learning how to fall! It was really difficult to stand up after falling. Those boot are extremely heavy and err... troublesome.. we learnt how to walk, stand and move with those boots and skies. We were actually on top of a small slope, but I guess can't really see the slope from the photo due to the monotone white colour of the snow. Our very first slope.. but was still darn scary. And let me introduce to you no 35, April from Singapore.



After learning how to walk in those boots and skies, the next day we had to attempt the small slope to take the chair lift to other slopes. As we were all beginners and have not been on a chair lift before, the instructor verbally taught us the right way to sit on the lift and how to get off. But as usual, saying is easier than doing. Almost everyone fell down while getting off the chair lift and worse still, one of us decided not to get down, she wanted to go back down hill!! We were all staring.. I guess she was too shocked or maybe scared to get off.. Sososooo mean of me to be laughing at my neigbour. Coincidentally she is my dorm mate.



And our instructor (in yellow) had to check to make sure that all her ducklings arrived ontop safely!!



And while skiing when we fall, our skies normally go flying out of control. And poor instructor will have to help us to wear the skies coz we can't stand properly in the middle of the slope.



A group photo.. all the beginners.. hehe.. We have lessons everyday from 9.30am till 11.30am. Lunch from 12.00pm. And afternoon lessons begin from 1.30pm till 3.30pm. Bathing time from 4.00pm (Public bath.. the OFURO! we get to check out everyone's figure!! even the intructor!! ahahaha)



Next, a photo of me with my super cool instructor.



After the first full day skii lessons, we had a party. The party was of course with lotsa alcohol. And here is a photo of my intructor (right).. not in ski wear! Pretty not??



My instructor asked us to try sleeping on the snow. I told her to make a snow angel. She don't know the meaning of a snow angel and I asked her to move her hands up n down... tada..the SNOW ANGEL!!! :P



Another group photo. It was snowing too heavily and was extremely cold, so we took shelter somewhere.



My kawaii (cute) instructor having fun with us.. ain't she cute?!



Finally on the last day, we only had lessons in the morning. It was free and easy in the afternoon and we decided to continue skiing. Went with some friends from the higher beginner class. It was silly of us to have trusted them. Nearly got ourselves killed. They brought us to very very steep intermediate course. Took me nearly 30 minutes to get down.. But from the photo you can only see that it is a very long course.. can't see the steepness!! I am darn lucky to be alive.. was screaming "mummy! mummy!" all the way down! But it was fun.. I would love to do it again!



Next three photos... just to show the beautiful scenery..:):)







And here... me posing for the camera. Final few moments.. before returning the ski tools and checking out..





Hmm, I miss skiing. I had too much fun. Would love to go again.... one day... one fine day! :)

3 comments:

Fish Fish said...

Wei Gal... Long time no blogging ar you... really glad to see you back with a good post. Hey, which hotel did u stay? Next time we go together. ;) How come it's all gals??

~AnGeL~ said...

FF, been lazy lar.. ahahaha. Y all gurls ar? Well mainly because in the beginner's class all girls ler.. so sad. No leng chai... but throughout the trip got lar.. and coincidentally all the photos I posted no guys ler.. I keep the nice looking guys for my own view only lar... hehehe

Friction said...

Great to hear that you enjoyed the ski trip... I can`t ski at all, but I can snowboard... Next time, we go together... I`ll help to push you down a steep one... like they say, best way to learn to swim, is to nearly drown in the deepest part of the pool... of course, I`ll be there with you, either also face first in the snow or helping to pull you out of the snow... hahahha... in anycase, cheers to snow... and I love snowboarding...
PS - as a response to your question - yeah she is kinda cute... hahhaha....