“I can feel the secretion of those digestion juices in my stomach, triggered by the smell of those freshly baked buns. I can hear the music in my stomach, not those soft pieces, but it sounded rather like an old steam engine. “Where? Where is the smell coming from?” I kept thinking while making my way through the throng of people. As I walked and walked, I know that I am getting nearer and nearer.
Those delicious looking buns - from donuts to bagels, from sweet pastries to yummy sandwiches. I can’t resist the temptation any longer. I know that I should not be doing this. I know that what I am about to do is not right. But I also know that I need food and I can no longer suppress the urge to eat. I have lost count of the number of days in which I have not eaten. I am confused, “Should I follow my stomach? Or should I follow my conscience?”
I made my way through the front door. Ahh, the smell! Just so overwhelming! I am going to do this. My stomach speaks louder than my mind! Putting down my bag by the side of the table near the exit, I picked up the tray and headed for the breads. The cream cheese and apple.. yummy! Tuna and cheese looks good too. I started picking up, one, two, three… and before I know it, I have eight buns on the tray. Ok, now all I need to do is to head back to my bag. This will not take long. Slowly, I open my bag and one by one, I started loading my bag with the buns. I hope I am not attracting any unwanted attention…”
Well, I made the story up. But I did really witness an old man stealing buns from the shop. I was there having bread and coffee and suddenly saw a guy who somewhat looked like a beggar to me. I thought that he must be really rich to be able to afford to buy those buns from the shop. I kept my eye on him while enjoying my tea. I saw him holding the tray with his hands. And within a minute or two he returned to the table. I thought he was going to take his wallet and head for the cashier. But guess what??!! He started putting those breads into his bag. And guess what again?? I was shocked, I quickly finish up my food and left the shop. It was scary because he was only one meter away from me. So tell me, friends, should I pity him? Or do you think it is wrong to steal?
Hey, do they clean the trays and thongs in the bakery? Can you imagine a pair of filthy hands searching through the rubbish dumps and then holding the tray.. oh, there goes my appetite. Lesson of the day – I am thankful that I have enough food, enough of everything to life a comfortable life.
And then, as I was walking home, I saw an old man all alone walking on the street. Well, he is not a beggar or a street guy. He was well dressed and a decent looking old man. The way he walked reminded me of my grandma when she had her stroke. Discovery of the day – I miss my grandma. And I am thankful that she is all well now. Heard that she will be making curry today. Hey, I wanna eat as well!!
p/s: Intended to post some photos yesterday night but there were some problems with the internet service and all the posting failed. Will have to do that again!! Sigh…
Sunday, November 07, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
The stomach knows no conscience. Indulge!!!!
Post a Comment