Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Nearly Roasted ALIVE!

Imagine being woken up in the middle of the night by a loud noise through the speaker in your room. Someone saying something really loudly. Being startled by the sudden noise but can't figure out the gibberish because you are still half asleep.

Ok.. that was exactly what happened to me last night. I went to bed early yesterday night. And suddenly at 1.15am, there was a load voice through the speaker in my room. I woke up with a shock but cannot figure out the Japanese. It all sounded so gibberish. So, first thing that came into mind was.. "SHIT, earthquake?". Hence, I on the TV. But there was no report of earthquake. Open my window, and saw some lights being switched on by people from the apartments across the road.

And I thought I was just having a nightmare and imagined the sound from the speaker. Was about to climb back into bed but suddenly heard some commotion outside my room. When I open the door... finally found out that it was a fire alarm.

WTF, I thought fire alarm was suppose to be noisy, with lotsa loud ringing sound. But there were none. The alarm had someone saying some weird Japanese. Futhermore, after saying some rubbish for a couple of minutes, the word 火事だ(fire) was mentioned!!! My GOODNESS.. luckily it was nothing serious, else I would be a nicely roasted PIG by now!!

Well, apparently, someone left a sweet potato in the microwave. I think the person wanted to determine the amount of moisture in the sweet potato and hence let it burnt till it was charcoal black and emitted lotsa smoke triggering the alarm! DAMN!! No common sense! They never read those notices in the kitchen "NEVER LEAVE THE KITCHEN WHEN YOU ARE COOKING!!!!"

The sudden adrenaline rush was enough to keep me up for another 30 minutes before I am able to go back to sleep. SIGH! Thank God I am still ALIVE!!

No comments: