Monday, October 11, 2004

Truly MALAYSIAN

I am a Malaysian!

Why did I say so? Well, mainly because recently a few Chinese girls moved into my floor. I am a Chinese. But I consider myself 100% Malaysian Chinese. So I am a Malaysian holding a Malaysian passport, born and breed in Malaysia. It is weird, but I do not feel like a chinese at all. I don't think I belong to the chinese group from china. I can't fit in!

Funny, we Chinese obviously came from the same roots i.e China. But the only similarity we have is skin colour and that I can communicate with them in Mandarin. And it goes as far as that only. I do not feel like I am a part of them. And the weird thing is when they ask me this question... "So which part of China are your parents from?" Well, my answer would obviously be - "My parents are born in malaysia, my granparents and great grandparents are from China, but I have no idea where!"

It is just so difficult to explain. I think I am having some identity problems here!But to put it in a nutshell, I am 101% Malaysian! When I am with the Chinese from China, I tell them I am MALAYSIAN, though I am also Chinese!!

p/s: I still feel more comfortable with my Malay friends here.. :)

3 comments:

roachz said...

You know, I have always wished to go to China and Taiwan for a holiday, perhaps maybe to set up a career there. This problems bother me too, as what is their perception towards us "half-cooked eggs". NOt that it matters a lot, but I wonder what kind of torment that we'll be put into if we choose to dwell in their country for a long period of time. What will happen to our social life by then? For the better or for the worse? Its great to live in Malaysia as a Malaysian, but a closer look into our lives doesn't show that it is a bed of roses too! I think all of you would know my meaning here.

So, nothing's perfect!

roachz said...

If ever I go to these two places for a long time, I'll land myself the biggest of challenges! Can't read (alot), can't write, can't speak properly to save my life! It'll the the most foreign of all foreign countries. And to think that all of us share the same physical characteristics! How ironic..

Fish Fish said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.