Being born a girl with a double x chromosome..I feels strongly about women rights! And being here in Japan makes me realise that I am so lucky to be born a Malaysian as well.
Japan is a very advance yet conservative country. On one hand they have the best technologies but on the other, they have a conventional way of thinking.
Well... in certain トイレ (toilet) in Japan, they have a system called the washlet. Whereby the seat is warmed by a heater (for winter ler), and all you need to do is sit and play around with the push buttons. You can choose between shower spray, spray, flushing sounds, and can even adjust the level strength of the water. Cool right!!!
But.. using a can opener in Japan can be a hassle. The can opener here are not like those at home - all you need to do is to turn it round the can. Here, we have the super old version of can opener. You need to use all your strength to open a can. Haha... it is good in a way, the calories burnt is equivalent to the food in the can! No knobs to turn.. you have to cut your way through the can. (Remind me to buy one when I go home mann... or maybe I should do some import business!!)
So even technology wise.. it is at two extreme ends!! But the thing that I am having difficulty accepting is the status of women in the Japan society. I think the sexual discrimination here is quite bad.
Well, women here earn less than man. Ok, lets say a boy and a girl (both fresh graduates) looking for a job. The boy is more likely to secure a job first and he will also get a higher pay. Why is that so? Don't you think it is unfair? I believe both male and female have the same ability to work! Here, the mentality is that, guys have to support the family and hence should get a higher pay. Gals, once married should stay home to "jaga anak".. so they don't get such a good pay and are not prefered because they will leave the company once they get married and have kids! Most of the women here leave their job to look after their kids... so now I can understand why there is no maid available..(I miss my MAID!!!) The mother is basically the slave to the husband and the children (you should see the way they are being bullied by the child! Damn...) Every Friday night, you will see lots of guys in the street.. all either drunk or still drinking. They would rather spend time drinking with their buddies than to go home to their wives and kids. SIGH!!! (Once in a while oklar... but to them, it is the norm!)
Women have no status, no nothing!! Hey, I was also informed about the Japanese guys.. hehe so I am actually NOT considering Japanese boyfriends..(psss...but still there are many foreigners hor!! :P) Hey too all my guy friends back home... u want me to get you some Japanese girls?? To all my gal friends back home.. WE SHALL NOT GO FOR JAPANESE GUYS!!
Having a Japanese boyfriend is no easy business as well. My host sister actually told me this ler. Jap boys are not gentlemen...they will wait for you to serve them food, let you stand while they sit in a crowded train, not discuss anything with you until they make a decision! Well... and the list goes on! (Friends... u want jap gurls??)
Also from my observation, from my trip to one of the Jap family. Initially, I thought the male host will drive me to the train station since it was kinda late. But guess what?! He only started the car and his wife(to whom I am closer with) drove me to the train station. Hey, no way my dad will allow my mum to do such things. (DAD.. you are such a gentlemen... muakzzzz)...
If I continue writing.. I might not be able to stop! hehe.. so I better stop now. At least in Malaysia, the situation is not as bad. Sigh! no wonder I miss HOME! :P
Tuesday, August 24, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
but i still like takeshi kaneshiro. (:
oh well, it's true. m'sians (in general) are warmer ppl. i think it's due to our bringing up.
Post a Comment